Purchasing Fine Art, Antiquities and Collectibles:
If you are looking to invest in fine art, antiques or collectibles, here are some places where you can acquire them:
- Private Sale
- Checking the catalogue entry to look for the history, provenance, description, bibliography, etc.
- Request a conditions report to establish the exact condition the piece is in
- Checking conditions of sale for information on logistics, limits and exclusions to the auctioneer’s liability
- Checking export licenses to ensure that the item can be transported
- Viewing of the item and even taking a second opinion from an expert at valuations
- Registering for the auction to ensure that you can be there in person, on the phone, or online
- Being ready with financing options, such as bank financing for instance, to pay for the acquisition of the item
- Being ready with the most feasible ownership structure to ensure that you get the most value for minimal liability, especially with respect to taxes.
Selling Fine Art, Antiquities and Collectibles:
If you would like further information regarding the law surrounding the sale and purchase of fine art, antiquities and collectibles – please phone our London office on +44 (0) 20 3588 3500 to speak directly to one of our solicitors, or request a call back and we will contact you.
Someone once quipped that buying a boat is the equivalent of standing in a shower, ripping up hundred-pound notes. The witty remark was, of course, …
Keep Your Yacht Out Of Jail This Summer – An Overview Of The Arrest Of A Vessel For the owner of a yacht, the arrest …